Monday, July 30, 2001

T minus 9 days and waiting

One of the things that I'm supposed to be doing now is weighing myself every day to keep an eye out for Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). In it's mild form, it is fairly common since we hyperstimulated the ovaries on purpose. And in it's severe and dangerous form is it fairly rare. One sign is rapid weight gain (4-5 lbs in a day) due to fluid in the abdomen. I was up 2 lbs this morning, but I think that's because I ate a lot yesterday and didn't drink as much water. (That normal fluctuation is why weight loss programs do not recommend weighing yourself daily.) I was surprised to see in the u/s during the transfer that my ovaries are still really big and look like they have many follicles or cysts. I do feel full or bloated most of the time, and my pants are tight in the belly.

After my transfer, I stayed laying down on the bed/table for 30 minutes. Now I am free to do any activities I want (except sex / orgasm for 3 days, and horseback riding). Some RE's order bedrest, but my nurse said just to not do anything for the next two weeks that would cause me to berate myself and ask "what if I hadn't done thus and such?" if we end up not being pregnant. I think that's pretty reasonable advice.

No comments: