Friday, July 13, 2001

Day 50 of IVF Prep

Cycle day 3, lupron day 10.

My uterus lining looked "picture perfect" according to the nurse doing the ultrasound. So barring unexpected blood test results later this morning, I will be starting the stimulation drugs tomorrow morning!

Here's a word of warning to everyone, always question inconsistencies at a doctor's office and pharmacy (even if not related to infertility).

Example 1: My original prescription included "Gonal-F 75 IU or Follistim 75 IU" with the doctor's signature on the "Product Selection Permitted" line. My pharmacy had sent me Follistim in the past, this time, with a quantity of 20, I was sent Gonal-F, which cost $5 more per unit. I called the pharmacy, they checked with the doctor, and sent me the other drug and I sent back the wrong one. I have not seen the $100 credit on my credit card yet, but I won't forget it.

Example 2: In the IVF training class, we were taught about giving IM shots in the buttocks and the thigh was mentioned as a possible alternative spot. My instructions have "deltoid" hand written above the column with the Humegon/Repronex IM dosage. I asked about that today... I am supposed to take them in the deltoid (upper arm, right below the shoulder) "because we think that you will absorb the medication better". Because that was not mentioned, I bought 1 1/2" needles, a bit too long for the deltoid, so the nurse found some 1" needles and gave them to me. Now I have 15 extra 1 1/2" injection needles. Needles aren't expensive, but it's the principle of the thing -- when the prescription was sent that included the 1 1/2" needles, they knew they wanted me to have the shots in the arm.

Example 3: All of the information and my instruction sheets have included progesterone in oil shots from retrieval day until the pg test day, or possible longer, plus Medrol (methylprednisolone) tablets from retrieval until transfer if doing AZH. My prescription form did not have either of those medicines checked, so my pharmacy didn't send them. I asked about that today, too. Oops. So the RE's nurse faxed a corrected prescription form to my pharmacy. At least now I'll have a use for those 1 1/2" injection needles.

Example 4: which may just be part 2 of the prescription form mistake The needle disposal system (aka Sharps container) was not included either, so I have been putting my used needles in a plastic pop bottle, as I was told was okay about 4 months ago. Today I was told that that is not okay, so we added that to the revised prescription.

Moral: Stay on top of your own treatment!

No comments: