Monday, December 23, 2002

Fifth Disease - I think DS may have Fifth disease. He is being sent home from day care with a slight (100 degree) fever. Several days ago his cheeks started looking red, almost chapped, and staying that way even when he wasn't warm. Yesterday I noticed his chin was red, too and the splotchy eczema-like rash on his arms and legs looked different. Over the weekend I noticed his bottom looking rashy, but not like the diaper rash he has had before (although he's only had diaper rash a couple of times and only for a day or two). He was very stuffed up last night and his nose secretions are thicker. It could just be a cold, but the rash and mild fever led me to do some research. If it is Fifth Disease, he was exposed sometime between Thanksgiving and early last week... and he is no longer contagious. I guess I'm taking today off work afterall. DH is off tomorrow, so I may come back in to wrap some things up before Christmas vacation, or I may just leave it as is.

No comments: