Friday, December 06, 2002

Crying

The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Baby Sleep Longer -- I wonder if we should get this book?

Of the past 6 nights, I have been the one to get DS to sleep originally only twice. Saturday night a friend came over because DH and I went to a concert for a date (our first night out together without DS since late August!). Sunday I nursed and held DS to sleep. Monday he was at our neighbors asleep on the living room floor when I went to pick him up. We had not sent pajamas or a night diaper (or nipples for the bottles of milk), so he was quite awake for a while before going back to sleep. Tuesday he was snoozing on another friend's couch surrounded by safety buffers in his pj's and night diaper. Wednesday was my turn again. He had some trouble falling asleep, so I took him to our bed and nursed laying down, where we both fell asleep. And last night DH got him ready, including feeding 2 bottles, then held DS while he cried for 20-25 minutes before finally calming down and falling asleep. The ladies who babysat for us all said that DS "was good". So why does he cry for Daddy? This was very frustrating to DH last night, and I felt very bad for him when I got home. Should I be doing something different so DS doesn't get used to falling asleep nursing at home? But if that were truly the problem, Saturday night would not have gone well. Should we try to reintroduce the pacifier, so if DS is too upset to find his fingers to suck to sooth himself, at least we can try to trigger the suck / sooth combination? That doesn't seem like the right thing to do either. Or should I stop going out in the evening? That seems drastic, but most of the time (except for "dates" with DH) I would rather be at home with DS than whereever else I have made a committment to be.

No comments: