Saturday, April 20, 2002

40w3d

Baby is still waiting... and the grown-ups are getting nervous and somewhat impatient.

Yesterday's biophysical profile (BPP) test caused quite a stir. The baby scored fine (8/8), but my amniotic fluid was deemed "low". (We later found out the measurement was "4" which was considered "the low end of normal" by my PCP's on call partner, but also "below the 5th percentile, which is when they get concerned" by a nurse that DH spoke with at the hospital where he works.) The OB to which I was referred for the BPP recommended that "I be delivered" (his word choice wasn't my favorite). He called my PCP and they talked, then he told me to go to the hospital. I was starting to freak out a bit as we left, and my DH said something to the effect of "let's go talk to our Dr." first. So instead of driving to the hospital, we drove to our Dr. and asked to see him (without an appointment). Within 15 minutes we were talking with him and discussing the test results, the possible induction, the risks, and our options. I was much calmer by the time we saw him than when I was at the OB's office. From what I remember, the main concern with low fluid is that cord compression problems are more likely, with the worst-case scenerio being stillbirth. After discussing things quite a bit, we scheduled me for an induction Monday morning, unless I go into labor or change my mind before then.

Apparently having chronic hypertension is related to low amniotic fluid when "past term". Since no one had mentioned that my controlled chronic hypertension was a problem, I don't know much about the relationship between it and low amniotic fluid. (That's the annoying part... why didn't anyone tell me that having hypertension would cause concerns if the baby went past the due date??) The OB mentioned the placenta deteriorating as being related to the hypertension also, but the placenta is over 40 weeks old, so one would expect it to show signs of being "old". At least he did say that the calcium deposits seen on it are not indicative of a problem, just of it's age.

We are keeping me well hydrated by our doula's recommendation (see "Reviewer's Conclusion" in this abstract also, and are still considering going in before Monday. We have also used some of the home techniques for stimulating and/or inducing labor. Nipple stimulation works. :-)

I'm actually feeling quite optimistic right now. The baby is still moving around and I am having contractions every 10-20 minutes without constant stimulation. So maybe... maybe... labor is starting this evening.

No comments: