Wednesday, August 15, 2001

We had a big discussion at dinner about my future caregiver. I would like to use a midwife, and my DH is more comfortable with a doctor. We are both trying to keep open minds, and I am trying to educate / convince him of the safety of using a midwife. Since I've never been pregnant before, I'm just going with my gut feelings and what I have read about midwife vs. OB care. From my perspective, the difference is primarily attitude... that as long as nothing is recognized as "going wrong" there is no need for a doctor. I think if our PCP, a family practice doc whom we have both been seeing for 10 years, still did prenatal care and "delivered" babies, then we could easily agree that I would keep seeing him during my pregnancy and labor and the baby's birth. However, I have a vague recollection that he stopped doing prenatal & labor care a couple of years ago. Tomorrow I will call his office; I probably should make sure the he knows I'm pregnant, even if I end up seeing someone else for the next 8 months (although my RE should have notified him, I think).

So far, I am only aware of one Certfied Nurse Midwife practicing in the area, so that does limit my choices. I would definitely consider a lay midwife and home birth, if I were the only person who's opinions mattered, but I know my DH would against that completely, and I am willing to honor his preference on that matter. I am well aware that even if I start with a midwife, I may need to go to an OB or transfer from a birthcenter to a hospital, if something goes wrong. Puberty, getting pregnant, growing a baby, giving birth, and menopause are all natural stages or events for women. Just because something "went wrong" and we needed medical and technological help with the getting pregnant part, does not mean that we will need medical and technological help with the baby's development or birth.

No comments: