Friday, January 10, 2003

Computer problems

Argh! I have to rebuild my handheld computer. :-( I was editing a memo when an alarm went off. Instead of "ok"ing it I tried to set a timer. That caused a "fatal exception" which normally just requires a soft reset. But since my battery was getting low, the soft reset didn't work and I just got random dots on the screen. I put in new batteries and got the Palm OS logo, but it was blinking, which I had never seen before. I tried another soft reset, but the logo kept blinking. The power button did nothing, so I took a battery out. When I put it back in I had a blinking dot in the upper left corner, but at least the logo wasn't blinking anymore. Another soft reset got me back to a blinking logo. After consulting a couple of co-workers, I went with the hard reset which wipes out all of the data. I'm resync'ing now, so I should get everything back except for the calendar entries that I exclude from my desktop at work. I may be able to get them back when I sync up at home tonight.

Moral: replace your PDA's batteries when you start getting the low battery warnings.

No comments: