Tuesday, August 13, 2002

Shots

DS got 2 immunizations today. We decided to not have him get the HepB vaccine, and we are going to make a call to our neurologist before having the DTaP (because of DS's seizure experience at birth), and our PCP doesn't do the Pneumococcal routinely. DS had the IPV polio shot and the HiB shot. One concern I had was that if he had several shots and had a reaction, how would we know which one to avoid or what out for next time. By having just 2, I am more comfortable with that. The DTaP is the one that concerned me the most anyway, with the warnings about seizure history, so I'm glad we're waiting. Our PCP didn't seem alarmed that we were not giving DS all of the shots precisely on schedule which was comforting also. He did pretty much encourage us to have them, though, without being overly pushy.

I nursed DS while he was given the shots, which was new for the RN doing the shots. He screamed and cried very hard after the first one, so much so that I couldn't tell when he got the second one. It took a little while before he slowed down his crying enough to resume nursing. I'm glad we were already started nursing and I didn't have to get my shirt, etc. ready while he was crying. I also am glad that I was holding him comfortably instead of him being held down on the exam table. I think it was the right decision, but I sure am sad right now.

No comments: