Friday, May 18, 2001

A friend on a email list asked us all if she was being selfish... "When do you think it is time to 'give up' that maybe all of this is happening because that's what God has in store for me. Do you think I'm just being selfish? Maybe I need to be blessed with what I have."

Those are questions that I have struggled with, too. And I don't have have any kids yet. Even though we haven't been doing IF treatment very long compared to some ladies on the email list, my DH and I have wondered the same thing... should we accept life without children as the direction God has for us? We know we can influence many children in positive ways both in our family (6 nieces/nephews close by) and at church, and even in our neighborhood. And except for wanting children, we are very happy with our lives, we have good jobs, hobbies we like, we serve our church (singing & committees), we get to travel a lot, have a good retirement nest egg (already, in our 30s), no debt except for the house, and a decent savings account. Where is God leading us? I don't know. Last year at a communion service, I prayed for God to take away my desire for a child if I wasn't supposed to have kids. Interestingly, I think the desire is less, but it is certainly not gone.

We are trying to find out where the line is... when "enough is enough". And that is hard to know.

No comments: