Wednesday, October 16, 2002

Weird schedules this week

Monday morning DH stayed home with DS because DS and I were up a good portion of the night with his cough. I had to go in to work because of a major problem but had finally gotten DS to take his medicine around 6am and he was sleeping at last. We called daycare to report DS's absence, but DH had to go to work in the afternoon and DS was doing fine once the medicine started to work, so I took him there for the afternoon.

Monday night DS didn't nurse at bedtime and wouldn't take his medicine. We didn't sleep well. Tuesday morning I was supposed to be at work at 7am. Daycare doesn't open until 7, so I warned my coworkers that I wouldn't be there on time. I got up early enough and at 6:30 I thought I still might make it, but when I was still trying to get DS to take medicine at 7:05, I thought "Oh well, I get there when I get there." I gave up on the medicine and went to daycare. I got DS to take about 1/2 of the medicine in the car. The lead teacher called me around 11 reporting that DS was fussy and had only drunk about 1/2 oz all morning. He was pretty much refusing the bottle. Since I had just solved the big problem that I had been working on (the same problem from Monday and the reason for the 7am start), I went over and nursed him. He only nursed for a minute or two, but at least he did it 3 times while I was there. I left instructions to call again in the afternoon if he kept refusing the bottle. When I picked him up at 5pm they reported that he drank 5 oz (in 2 sittings) in the afternoon. Back to normal?

Tuesday night was about the same as Monday night, except I did get DS to take his medicine. (His congestion doesn't seem too bad, but he coughs quite a bit without the medicine.) I had a partially used bottle from daycare that DS wouldn't take, though, so I ended up dumping about 2 oz of MM. DH and I stayed up way too late, but we had some very important conversation. I'm guessing it was around 2am Wednesday when we finished. DS and I were up again during the night, so I decided to sleep in some. I finally got out of bed around 8 as DH was finishing getting ready to go to work. I asked the DCP to give DS his medicine since he wouldn't take it from me and to feed him at lunchtime since I have errands to run. I will be leaving work early to pick up our fundraiser sales and bring some of them back to the people at work who bought things.

Thursday daycare is taking a field trip to a pumpkin patch and I'm going, so I probably won't be at work in the morning at all.

Friday I will be taking the afternoon off because DH is singing at a competition. The competition lasts from noonish on Friday until late Saturday night. The only part I will get to see is Friday afternoon while DS is at daycare. At past competitions I have attended all events. DH's local group is hosting it this year and I really wish that I would have been able to help out, but it just didn't seem feasible.

Saturday I may be taking care of my niece for a long part of the day. My sister works from 11am-7pm and her husband is out of town for the weekend. Hopefully his niece will be able to split the babysitting with me. I do want to get some practice with caring for both DS and my niece together (because I still have a goal of dropping to part time and swapping child care with my sister), but I think an 8 hour block is bigger than I am ready for.

No comments: