Thursday, October 17, 2002

Field Trip -- Pumpkins and Dirt

We went on a field trip to Pumpkin Junction with daycare this morning. DS seemed to enjoy himself. When we got out of the car he saw kids playing on playground equipment and just stared at them for a while. I carried him in the sling until the trailer ride started, then I sat him down on the bed of the truck where we were all sitting.

Once we reached the pumpkin patch, each child was allowed to pick one pumpkin and two gourds to take home. We looked around for a while and I picked up a green pumpkin. The tractor driver told me it was a pumpkin not a gourd and it would turn orange in a few days, especially if we took it inside where it was warm. I looked around some more and picked up two gourds, then I decided to get a pumpkin that was already orange. I sat DS on the ground with his treasures and others around him and snapped a few pictures. He sat up very well on his own but tipped over backwards a couple of times. He had enough padding that it didn't seem to bother him, but the one time that he tipped sideways and his face met the dirt he did cry. I'm pretty sure that this is the first time that he has ever seen dirt up close.

On the ride back to the parking lot he seemed to enjoy exploring his gourds. He "mouthed" the big pumpkin (only about 6" diameter) and put the small end of one of the gourds in his mouth also. One DCP had a camera, and I think she got a picture of that!

No comments: