Wednesday, July 03, 2002

I'm starting to get prepared to go back to work. I don't want to go, and it's not because I don't want to work... I don't want to be away from DS all day. I do plan to go home at lunchtime to see him (oh, and feed him, too), but I know that I'm going to miss him a lot. Yesterday I wrote a letter to DH encouraging him. He is apprehensive about caring for DS alone all day. I know they will be fine and DH will discover what works for them.

Here is part of the letter:

You are a wonderful husband and great father. I know you are apprehensive about caring for DS when I go back to work, and I want to use this letter to reassure you that you can do it, and that you will both be fine! You being here and loving him are what is most important.

Remember that taking care of him is a full-time job; don't expect to "get anything done". If all I do is hold him and feed him and change him all day, then I have succeeded; if I get dressed, eat breakfast and lunch approximately when I want, and go to the bathroom when I need to, then I have done well; if I shower, read email, watch the news (or any other program), empty the dishwasher, do a load of laundry, and/or get outside (even just to bring in the mail), then I have "accomplished" quite a lot; and if I run an errand or meet you for lunch, then I have had a full and amazing day! Perhaps you will be able to feel the same way.

No comments: