Monday, June 10, 2002

First overnight trip

DS went on his first overnight trip last weekend. We left on Thursday, were on the road about 4 hours (driving about 3) and stayed with relatives Thursday night. DS met more relatives Friday morning before we hit the road, then we were off again from about 8 more hours. DS travelled pretty well. He only got fussy a couple of times, about 10 minutes before when we were planning to stop anyway.

Once at the hotel, DS did fine, and he actually slept in the Pack 'n Play's bassinet most of the time that we put him in it. We did have one little incident when I accidently cut his lip with my name badge. I felt so bad about it! I had forgotten that I was wearing a name badge in a plastic holder near my shoulder. I held DS up on my shoulder (sort of in the burping position) and he let out a LOUD YELL and started crying like I have never heard him cry before. It definitely was a "hurt" cry instead of a "give me attention" or "feed me" cry. His lip even bled a little. I opened up my shirt and let him BF both for comfort and to get a little milk on his lip. (I've heard that breastmilk has slight anti-biotic qualities.) Fortunately the cut was minor and DS appeared to be quick to forgive when offered warm milk direct from mommy.

On Friday we noticed that DS hadn't had a BM (bowel movement, aka poopy diaper) all day in the car. At first we thought that was a nice treat, then we started to get concerned and kept expecting a big blow-out. It was 20 hours before he had a BM and it wasn't all that big. Then on Saturday he also just had one, and it was a little bigger, but still "normal". We were a bit worried, but not too much because DS didn't seem bothered or uncomfortable. We were happy to see the big blow-out and then discover that it was just a warm up for the REALLY big blow-out about 20 minutes later on Sunday afternoon when we had been home about 12 hours. He seems almost back to his regular pattern now.

No comments: