Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Catching up

Last Friday I nursed DS for the last time in a long time. After putting off my doctor for about 6 weeks, we decided that it was time for me to start taking blood pressure medicine again. We did several searches and found some meds that were okay for nursing, and some that were okay during pregnancy, but couldn't find any that we were convinced were safe for both. I had anticipated this, and since my supply had be getting lower and lower, when I nursed DS Friday night I told him to enjoy it because it was the last time for a while.

Over the weekend DS vomitted for the first time. We introduced cows' milk Saturday -- only about 1-2 ounces. He threw up during the night. His appetite Sunday was very low. Then Sunday night he threw up 4 more times, once in bed, twice on his dad, and once on me. A couple of times over the weekend he nuzzled and pulled on my shirt, and I know he was wanting to nurse and couldn't figure out why I wouldn't comfort him that way, like I always have comforted him when a hug and a kiss aren't enough. I felt sad about that. There have been stomach bugs going around (according to both our doctor and day care), but since he didn't have diareaha or a fever, we are pretty sure the vomitting was just a reaction to the milk.

We had DS's 1 year pictures taken at J C Penney yesterday evening. I was concerned that we might not get good smiles if he was still feeling bad, but he was a charmer, as usual!

No comments: