Wednesday, March 19, 2003

BM success!

After two days of Karo (corn) syrup in his juice, three tries with glycerin suppositories, 4-5 days of abdominal massage, and several warm baths, DS finally had the big uncomfortable BM we've been waiting and hoping for. About and hour and a half after the suppository last evening he started grunting and squirming, so I started drawing the warm bath. I knew it could be messy, but by that point I didn't care. He had been so uncomfortable for so long.

(Stop reading now if you don't want the graphic details of what and how it finally worked.)
His diaper had a small amount in it, as it has most changes for the past 2 days. Since DH was gone, and I was on my own, I did things a little differently than usual. I undressed DS and put on another regular diaper, put our towels on the bathroom floor, then undressed myself, took of DS's diaper and we both got in the warm tub. We played and I rubbed DS's tummy a little. It had been close to 20 minutes without any action, and I was about to get us out when DS started squirming and whining. A little BM material came out and floated around in tiny pieces (ick) and then a medium sized chunk. Okay, that was progress. Then a minute or two later DS really started crying. I lifted him up a bit in the water so he wasn't sitting on the bottom of the tub. Out came 2 big logs. I waited a bit to make sure that was all, then DS started sucking his fingers (which I had kept out of the water once things started moving). I got us out of the tub, flushed the logs, and took DS to the kitchen for a real bath with soap in the kitchen sink. Within minutes he was jabbering and playing and as happy as ever! (Not reserved, clingy, and almost lethargic like he had been for almost 2 days.) Large chunks of fecal material have never been so sweet!

After the 2nd bath, nighttime diaper, pajamas, nursing, and getting DS to sleep, I wiped out the tub then sprayed it down with Lysol. It wasn't nearly as gross as I had anticipated.

No comments: