Monday, February 11, 2002

30w5d

I have a wonderful husband! At our Bradley childbirth class yesterday, the question of "why have a natural childbirth?" came up for discussion. There were lots of good answers related to the baby's health, the mother's health and ease of recovery, breastfeeding, and a feeling of accomplishment. After most of the others had spoken, DH said that his reason is simply because that's what I want.

On the way home we talked about this, because he was concerned that he might have embarrassed me. I was not at all embarrassed. I was very touched and honored. I know he was not originally comfortable with my desire for a unmedicated and intervention-free birth, but his choice to support me demonstrates one of the many reasons that I love him so much. He reminded me of something from our premarital counselling years ago... what do we do when we don't agree?... one of us has to make the final decision. In this case, since I am the one having the baby, he deferred to me and is supporting my decision in every way that he can. And by the time that we're done with classes and practice, and the baby is actually here, he might even agree with me. :-)

No comments: